I just celebrated my 37th Birthday. I have to admit I had a rough day. Not because I’m a year older, but I think I expected more out of 36 then I got. I started thinking about those expectations and realized that I wasn’t taking my own advise. I always repeat the quote by William Shakespeare “Expectation is the root of all heartache.” I still believe this and obviously this is still a lesson I’m working on. I want to share some of the lessons I have learned in 37 years in no particular order.
1. There will always be someone smarter,stronger and better then you. Embrace yourself and where you are.
2. Screw me once shame on you. Screw me twice shame on me. But give 2nd chances.
3. If the shoe doesn’t feel good in the store no matter how cute don’t buy them.
4. Comparing yourself to someone else is one of the most toxic things you can do.
5. Don’t deprive yourself of anything 100%.
6. Don’t eat cherry flavored anything. It tastes like medicine!
7. When feeling down the answer is always gratitude.
8. You can’t be everything to everybody. Worry about what you need to do for you.
9. Try something new even if you’re afraid. There is no growth without vulnerability.
10. Try to look at everything through rose colored glasses. I know it can be difficult but worth it. Look for the good.
11. Practice the pause before you speak, write or act.
12. Be authentic. When you’re not people can see right through you anyway.
13. Do your research. Sales people can’t always be trusted. Haha
14. Do what makes you feel good. Stop caring who is watching.
15. Honor your space. It is sacred. Don’t allow toxicity to enter it.
16. Don’t be afraid to fail. Failure is a good thing. Nothing big has come out of something that didn’t fail first.
17. Don’t buy cheap sheets or towels.
18. Just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
19. Don’t worry about your age. There are many that didn’t make it that far.
20. Give what you can when you can. Money, time, knowledge. Give with no expectation of anything in return when you can. Someday you may need the karma to come back to you.
21. Don’t take yourself to seriously. Laugh, smile, have fun. There is nothing serious going on here, EVER!
22. Your gut and your intuition is always right, listen.
23. I learned, I am absolutely ignorant to believe that I am not supported by something bigger then me.
24. You can’t control anyone or anything but yourself.
25. Always be willing to learn. Nobody knows everything about anything.
26. Don’t underestimate the power of garlic salt or Sriracha. Yum!!
27. Don’t be afraid to say no. Don’t be afraid to say yes. Do what only calls to you.
28. Take a compliment with grace.
29. Give compliments and kind words. It could change someone’s whole day.
30. You can’t give what you don’t have. Take time for yourself.
31. The worst things that happens to us usually end up being the best things that happens to us.
32. Spanks and tights are not for me. I choose lumpy.
33. Gratitude is the key.
34. You are not your labels or rolls in the world.
35. Perfection does not exist.
36. The people that matter don’t care if you’re not perfect and the people that care don’t matter.
37. When you’re in a bad space pray, meditate, do something you love. Whatever connects you to your higher self. All is well.
I know I have learned more then this in my 37 year but these are the ones that first came to mind. The things I hope to learn through the rest of my life are unlimited. I know what I’m working on now and what I need to learn is letting go of expectation, fully forgiving myself and others, letting go of judgments, becoming a lover of what is no matter what it is, connecting fully to my higher self. All no small feet but things I wish for myself.